Tuesday, July 23, 2024

An Ohio State Senator calls for civil war to save our country, but he didn't mean it.

Yesterday Ohio State Senator George Lang said this at a rally for Republican Vice Presidential nominee JD Vance:

"I believe wholeheartedly, Donald Trump and Butler County's JD Vance are the last chance to save our country. Politically, I'm afraid if we lose this one, it's going to take a civil war to save the country and it will be saved. It's the greatest experiment in the history of mankind."

Of course, he later tried to distance himself from his own words:

"Remarks I made earlier today at a rally in Middletown do not accurately reflect my views. I regret the divisive remarks in the excitement of the moment on stage. Especially in light of the assassination attempt to President Trump last week, we should all be mindful of what is said at political events, myself included."

Notice that he did not say, "if we are cheated out of this (election)," or some other nonsense about it being "stolen" from them. He said, "if we lose (it)." He may be the last person on earth to know that there's nothing new about a minority employing violence to thwart the will of a majority. Nothing experimental about it.

I would like to accept his attempt to retract what he said. But it's incomplete, and I suspect insincere. He is a seasoned politician, and he knows the power of words. He knows how to choose them to fit the moment.  His call to arms against democracy has been heard, as intended.

Mr. Lang should resign.

No comments:

Post a Comment