Thursday, August 22, 2024

More policy proposals, fewer personal attacks, please!

It will not surprise those who read this blog to learn that I support the Harris-Walz ticket for President and Vice President, Sherrod Brown for re-election to the Senate from Ohio, and Democrats all down the ballot. There are so many things the Trump-controlled Republican Party stands with with which I do not agree that I have no choice. Fortunately, I agree with most of what the Democratic Party stands for so I am happy to cast my ballot for Democrats in November.

Party politics is a challenge for me because I am not a fan of simplistic slogans and empty promises, and that’s what both parties seem to thrive on. Nor do I like fear-mongering and name-calling. I try myself not to engage in them, and I appreciate it when people treat me and my convictions with respect in return.


Though I support Democrats 100% this time around, I have found their convention to be filled with more noise than substance. I’d like more specifics about things like climate change, foreign policy, budgets, and gun legislation. But I know TV’s audience is easily bored, so I am not the person to consult about what works to capture and sustain interest.


I offer a special tip of the Guardian’s cap to Tim Walz for keeping his excellent acceptance speech mercifully short. Would that all the speakers learned that lesson!


Two Trump-sponsored emails lodge in my spam filter today, both signed by Mr. Trump himself, both asking for money.


This morning Mr. Trump noted that he is to sentenced in a month, and said: “But the fight is far from over. In just one month, all hell breaks loose when I’m sentenced by a corrupt judge-DESPITE NO CRIME!” Is it merely a prediction that all hell will break loose, or is it a call to arms?


Then, this afternoon, he promised that, “Together, we will DEMOLISH THE DEEP STATE and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” Demolition is violent, and produces nothing but rubble. Can Mr. Trump tell us what we will put in the place of this deep state? My experience with Mr. Trump is that he is much better at destruction than at construction when it comes to governing.


Mr. Trump’s very own words make it easy for me to vote Democratic. I am an American patriot; I believe in the rule of law.

No comments:

Post a Comment