Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mid-October Pansy Honors All Late-Bloomers AGAIN










Last week I cut back the sprawling remains of a peony, and this delicate pansy - a leftover from two seasons past - smiled at me. During the summer I had felt sorry for the poor plant’s ungainly stems, no match for the summer’s extremes of heat and rain. It was a being that held no promise. For some reason I decided to let it be, and forgot about it. But on October 10 it stood up to surprise me.

Proof of life’s tenacity? Perhaps, but something more than basic cell survival is at work here. I saw the pansy’s blossoms as proof of beauty’s durability. In the face of adversity beauty, when graciously protected and not yanked from its soil too quickly, can remain...can even surprise us and bring a smile to our faces.


2 comments:

  1. Couldn't see the picture, but love the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along that same line, I've been enjoying the mahogany, wood grained beauty of Horse Chestnuts over the last couple of weeks. They are a wonder! The massive tree is at my workplace. If it was in my yard, it might not be such a marvel if I had to pick up all the fallen conkers. - - Judy

    ReplyDelete