Monday, February 5, 2018

My new word for today: Snollygoster

Today's "A Word a Day" Website introduced me to a word about which I can only wonder why I haven't heard it before. Do not stop at reading its meaning. The notes are very important.

Why isn't "snollygoster" in almost every political news story?

BTW, do not expect me to tell you what "talknophical assumnacy" is. Google it, and decide for yourself!

MEANING:
noun: A shrewd, unprincipled person. 

ETYMOLOGY:
Of uncertain origin, perhaps an alteration of snallygaster, a mythical creature said to prey on poultry and children, possibly from Pennsylvania Dutch schnelle geeschter, from German schnell (quick) + Geist (spirit). Earliest documented use: 1846. 

NOTES:
According to a Georgia editor, “A snollygoster is a fellow who wants office, regardless of party, platform, or principles, and who, whenever he wins, gets there by the sheer force of monumental talknophical assumnacy.”


No comments:

Post a Comment