Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Grieving John McCain

I keep trying to wrap my head around the way many are reacting to John McCain's death.

Apparently today's far right is not willing to grieve for him at all, which underlies President Trump's flagpole insecurity. I guess the less-far right is willing to grieve for him a bit since he is a military hero and supported most of our military endeavors, as well as for other reasons.

From the other side of the aisle (as they say) the left is, as usual, torn asunder. Far, far leftists see no good in him ("war-monger," and the like). I am offended by the vitriol. Others on the left give him credit for his integrity, even when they disagreed with him.

Given our current cultural divides, none of this is surprising. Disappointing, but not surprising. We can and will politicize anything for our own purposes.

What really mystifies me is the near deification of McCain by progressives I know. It is as if they've forgotten they disagreed with him on many things because they thought he was simply wrong about them. Where is this coming from?

I fear it is John McCain's opposition to President Trump that is driving the hyperbole from progressives about him. McCain articulated a clear and principled challenge to Trump, for which he is to be honored. But to remember him with unqualified approval because of that one, admittedly important, quality mystifies me.

It is very hard to remember clearly people we've known at the time of their deaths. Our grief blocks our objectivity. I know this because I've winced at many a funeral, and likely have caused wincing in others by what I've said about the deceased.

John McCain was a man to be admired and honored for many reasons, not the least of which being that he was a man who served our country to the very best of his ability. I honor him for who he was. But I didn't vote for him.

Being a true leader John McCain could not serve everyone's interests just the way they thought they ought to be served. To truly honor him we have to come to that elusive place we call "the center" where no political stand is beyond questioning. Not enough of us are willing to go there these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment