Monday, November 9, 2020

Our signs come down

Shortly after noon Saturday, I removed the Biden-Harris sign that we’d displayed in the front door of our retirement community home. It had been there a couple of months.

Campaign signs had generated a bit of controversy among our residents, but there were no rules against it, and some of us felt we had the right and even the duty to express our preferences. We’ve never done that before did not stop us.


Our cul-de-sac of 10 to 12 homes became the hotbed of political expression on our campus. At the height, 5 homes expressed support for the Biden-Harris ticket, but only one for Trump-Pence. But it displayed two signs, one of them being a Veterans for Trump sign. (Our few numbers were not at all representative of Lake County, which voted solidly Republican all down the ticket.)


A couple of residences’ signs came down right after Tuesday’s election. I decided to wait until the winners were declared, which was Saturday. Last I looked there was only one sign left standing.


But here’s my point for today: about an hour after I had removed our Biden-Harris sign, our neighbor was out removing his two Trump-Pence signs.


As I watched him, I thought to myself, This is our American way. We disagree, sometimes loudly and radically, but when the votes are counted, we put our most partisan personas aside, so that we can work with one another to meet our challenges and solve our problems.


I hope Washington, D.C. will choose to follow the example of our little cul-de-sac. It will not be easy, of course—not nearly as easy as President-elect Biden sometimes makes it sound. But we can do this, given the will. There’s too much at stake for any of us not even to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment