Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Thanks to everyone who has been following my journey through and beyond left knee replacement surgery. I want to let you know that my 6-week post-op appointment with the surgeon's PA this morning was all good news. X-ray was excellent, and she was very pleased with my range of motion. Still quite a bit of swelling, perhaps persisting because I am on blood thinner, but that should be much better in two or three months. Have to keep icing and elevating knee. Hard work is the PT and home exercises, but I try to regard them as my "job" for now, so I get them done. Best of all, it feels better all the time. And, I can drive again!

I've learned a lot through this. One thing I've learned is that knee replacement surgery, while common, is not a small matter, at least for me. The combination of anesthesia, drugs, sharp pain you have to push through, trauma to the body, etc., feels as if it affected and troubled every part of my body and psyche. It's all getting better, but I wasn't really prepared for the range of feelings and unpleasantries it would visit upon me. Maybe most people don't experience it the same way. Everyone processes such life events differently. I'd be interested to know others' experiences.

Today's x-ray also showed that my right knee is not magically getting less likely to need the same surgery some day. I'll try to hold it off as long as I can, but perhaps be better prepared next time around. Until then, I will try to keep as healthy as possible. I think that's had a lot to do with my good progress.

All in all, I am one grateful person this evening. And I am grateful to no one more than to Maxine, who has been a great nurse, caregiver, comforter, and encourager. I don't know how I would have gotten this far without her!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have loving help nearby. I’m also glad thing are coming along as far as healing. Two months after surgery for a fractured ankle, I am up for hours with pain. My first PT is not until next week. I am disappointed that I’m not farther along. Just yesterday I had a good cry about my losses. Then- I moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy...I am truly sorry you continue to have so difficult and painful a time. I've tried to keep in mind that there's a big difference between a controlled "break" and surgery, and the tragic accidental shattering of bones you experienced. People like you, and like my wife who has undergone multiple foot surgeries and still experiences sometimes intense pain, are no comparison to my experience of a procedure that has been repeated and refined for years. All I can say is I hope your pain begins to ease, that you do not lose heart through it all, and you will be able before long to enjoy the life you want to live. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete