Friday, January 6, 2023

2023's January 6 assault on us

On January 6, 2023, we continue to witness an ongoing assault in the U.S. Capitol. It’s being carried out by some 20 Republican House members who are trying to force their will upon the rest of congress and the nation by blocking the election of a Speaker. The only really clear thing they seem to want is power. They do not trust our legislative process to accomplish what they want.

What they are doing is no less an attack on our democracy than was what happened two years ago today. Sure of their own rightness and righteousness, they will not back down or compromise even in the face of overwhelming evidence they cannot get their way through ordinary means. McCarthy keeps trying to mollify them (which has become almost as disgusting as what they are trying to do), but they will not be satisfied until they get the near complete control they want.


We elect people to represent us to fight for what we want for and from our government. I get that, and I vote that way. But I know they will not always get everything I expect immediately or without compromise. I do not vote for people to trash our government because they cannot get their way. I support those who both stand up for what I believe and play well with the others in achieving it.


I’ve been sitting for a couple of days on a post telling George Santos to resign from the House. But he and his lies seem small potatoes to me in light of the assault on our government by 20 of his would-be colleagues. They should all resign. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment