Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Quick Notes from a Road Trip East: Monday, June 24


On our way to Ikea (our morning's entertainment) we passed a Methodist Church with a sign out front that read something like this: "Protect yourself from sunburn with Sonblock."  We'll, maybe it didn't say exactly that, but it's how I remember it. I pondered the message for several minutes, trying to figure out what it meant Perhaps the reason I never figured it out is that I remember it wrong. That's probably as logical an explanation as any I can come up with, except maybe that, in its original state, it was as incomprehensible as I now recall it.

On to Oneonta, NY. While checking into the Rainbow Motel on Oneonta's east side, I casually mentioned to the owner, Maria, that we were in town to scout out rental houses for our other daughter and husband and family, moving to Oneonta from Spokane WA in August. Maria said they had a house they are looking to rent a couple of doors down. She also told us about an agent she knew who might help us. Good thing we tried a mom and pop motel this time. Very nice place, too. I'd stay there again. Give folks a chance and you can be pleasantly surprised. It's often worth it.

Ate dinner at The Yellow Deli, which turned out to be part of something called "Twelve Tribes," which is a sort of a world-wide Messianic restoration-of-Israel commune. Great sandwiches in a place decorated to look like the great outdoors covered with words. Did my $20 go in part to support some kind of cult? Need to check it out. (Update: did check it out, and yep, some think it’s a cult.) When I recall the place now the witch's gingerbread house in "Hansel and Gretel" comes to mind. Give folks a chance and you might want to run the other way.

How many "religions" give rising generations good reason to be wary of all religion!

No comments:

Post a Comment